Olympic Fever is on! The best family television event is about to begin, and my family can’t wait. The Olympic Games are a great opportunity to spend quality time with your kids, while also sneaking in some valuable lessons. Here are some ideas to make the most of Olympics 2016:
- Using colored tissue paper, paper towel rolls and aluminum foil, have the kids make their own Olympic Torches.
- Watch the opening ceremonies with an atlas or a globe and learn about different countries. Start with Rio and move on from there!
Life Skills & Character Lessons:
- There are so many inspiring stories about athletes. Look online at the profiles of the athletes, read the stories of their journey and let your kids pick one or two that they want to follow throughout the games.
- As you’re watching the individual events, have conversations with your children about sportsmanship, perseverance, competition, & disappointment. None of these athletes got to the Olympics without disappointment and tough times.
Math Fun with Medals:
- Let your kids practice math facts by tallying up the medals won. Give them scenarios such as if the US wins 16 more how many will they have.
- During events like gymnastics and diving, turn your family into the judges. Given everyone index cards or paper plates and pencils. Let everyone give out a score and see if you all agree.
Try Brazilian Foods:
- BBQ: Brazil is known for barbecued meat. Have your own BBQ dinner featuring different cuts of meat, grilled on a skewer or take the kids to a local Brazilian BBQ restaurant.
- Smoothies: Superfood Acai, now famous in the US, comes from the Amazon. Now is the time to try and make your own Acai smoothie bowl and enjoy this frozen treat with your kids. There are tone of great recipes online.
- Bolinhos de Chuva: These little gems are basically little sugar & cinnamon doughnuts. Um, yum!! This recipe looks easy and delicious!
Have Your Own Family Olympics:
- This is a favorite with us. We host our own family Olympics for the 5 of us. We do some easy backyard games and some quick minute to win it type games and we keep score over the two weeks. Then during the closing ceremonies we give out prizes such as large Hershey bars or other treats.
For the official tv schedule of the Olympics click here. Enjoy the games with the family! What a way to end the summer.