One of our favorite holiday traditions is to bake and decorate Christmas cookies. Last year we discovered a true gem of a recipe that consistently produces some of the best cookie cutter butter cookies that I’ve ever had. Last week Big, Middle and Little all went to town decorating.
William Sonoma Cookie Cutter Cookies:
- 1 1/2 Cups of flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Grease a cookie sheet (or line cookie sheet with parchment paper)
- In a small mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light & fluffy
- Add egg and vanilla to mixture and beat until well blended
- Add dry ingredients and mix well
- Cover and place in refrigerator for at least one hour
- Preheat oven to 350
- Using a rolling pin and floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick
- Cut cookies with cookie cutters
- Bake on cookie sheet until light brown approx 10-12 minutes
- Transfer to a cooling rack
- Decorate with frosting gels, sprinkles, m&m candies, chocolate chips and colored sugar.
If decorating cookies is too messy or not quite your thing, you might like to see how we adapted our favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe for the holidays. Or, take a look at one of our new favorite cookies double chocolate mint (perfect for a holiday cookie exchange).