I’m sort of obsessed with the Barefoot Contessa. Well, actually a lot obsessed. I love her because her recipes are so straight forward and yet so delicious. I can always count on having an amazing outcome when I follow her lead.
These are the best chocolate chunk cookies and we make them all the time. Yesterday, Little asked if we could use red & green m&ms to make them more “Christmasy”. We did for half the batter and they were delicious and very festive.Chocolate Chunk Cookies Barefoot Contessa
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts (we omitted these)
- 1 1/4 pounds semisweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and two sugars until light and fluffy in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Add the vanilla, then the eggs, one at a time, and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt and add to the butter with the mixer on low speed, mixing only until combined.
- Fold in the walnuts (if using) and chocolate chunks.
- Drop the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, using a 1 3/4-inch-diameter ice cream scoop or a rounded tablespoon.
- Dampen your hands and flatten the dough slightly.
- Bake for exactly 15 minutes (the cookies will seem underdone).
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly on the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
You might also want to try our newest obsession, double chocolate mint cookies. Or if you really want to get creative with the kids try these cookies cutter cookies which are perfect for decorating.